Reputation or financial performance?May 1, 2017
Telling your storyMay 1, 2017
Just recently I’ve been mentoring the amazing Lancashire basketball coach, Renko Ireton, who is starting his first business later this year. Mentoring is organised through East Lancashire Chamber of Commerce as a way for would-be entrepreneurs to get support from established business owners in the region.
I’ve really enjoyed being a mentor, and here are some of the things I’ve learnt:
1. The focus of mentoring is the mentee – don’t just talk about yourself
2. Over the years in business, you learn such a lot, without realising you’re absorbing it.
3. Being a business owner is deeply satisfying
4. Never assume that everyone else will know what you know
5. Refreshing yourself of the basics of business, from cashflows to marketing plans, is hugely benefial, no matter if you company is one day or one decade old
6. Keep meetings to time
7. There is nothing like the enthusiasm of someone at the start of their journey – it’s a real boost
8. None of us ever stop learning
9. Networking is a learnt skill and has massive benefits
10. Helping others is hugely rewarding.
If you’ve mentored anyone, what were the highlights for you?