Some of the most common questions I’m asked are “how can I get the press to come to me for comment?” “How can I get recognised in my sector for my expertise?” and “How can I get on the speaker platform at conferences?”
Do these ring bells with you?
Because often companies see their competitors airing views – yet how frustrating is this, if you know you know more?
Here are some steps to take, to raise your personal profile and to be seen as a thought leader.
1. Have you got a blog? Blogging, creating a cogent record of your knowledge and insights, is the first point of research for anyone wanting to establish your credibility. Make sure you are blogging – and contributing to others.
2. Are you connected online as well as offline? Take good look at your social media channels and make sure they are representative of you and your interests.
3. Do the right people KNOW you actually would like to contribute/ speak ? Don’t be coy about this – you need to make it clear that you would like to be contacted for contribution.
4. Network network network – it goes without saying really.
5. Submit topical comment to appropriate journalists and bloggers, demonstrating your knowledge and expertise.
6. Write guest articles and blogs
7. Contact conference organisers for a speaking slot
8. Answer questions on LinkedIn
9. If a reporter contacts you, always get back to them with information within the timescales they are working to – there’s nothing so good at destroying your personal brand than not being professional and courteous.
10. Enter awards and/or write a book – being an ‘award winning expert’ or ‘author and expert’ has so much more clout.
Of course, this list is not exhaustive – but it can be daunting… some of us are born extroverts and quite used to being in the limelight. But if you feel you need a bit of a helping hand with this… give us a call!